Why Work in the UK?
The UK has long been one of the most popular destinations for oversees doctors in the EU. This is for a number of reasons including its reputation for delivering high standards of care, research excellence and world-class training and development programmes.
For international doctors, there are many benefits to furthering your medical career in the UK, which include:
- Work experience within one of the world’s largest healthcare systems
- Top quality training and development, including the opportunity to gain specialist UK Royal College qualifications
- Access to ground-breaking research
- Good standards of pay
- An opportunity to experience living and working in the UK
- Developing new skills and being introduced to new ways of working
- A diverse, multi-cultural population with a wide range of health needs
Not only is the UK attractive to overseas doctors, but the UK’s publically funded healthcare system – National Health Service (NHS) – relies upon international doctors to bridge skill shortage gaps and meet the high demand for its services. Today, 26.3% of doctors licensed to practise by the General Medical Council (GMC) graduated from their primary medical qualification in an international country. A further 10.7 % of doctors obtained theirs from an EEA country outside the UK.